[Wiktionary-l] GNU-FDL and Ultimate Wiktionary

Muke Tever muke at frath.net
Mon May 30 13:20:37 UTC 2005

Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> For my part translation is a secondary function of a dictionary.
> Documenting the history of a word, citing quotations that support uses
> of the word, and commentary on the usages of a word are more interesting
> and important.  I recently did a little of this to raise awareness of
> the divergence of  [[gourmand]]  in English and French.  I find our
> present software essentially adequate for the task.
>
> Gerard has been talking about his Ultimate Wiktionary for a long time,
> but so far I have not seen examples of what Gerard's Wiktionary will
> look like, how it will work or how it will be editable.  Perhaps if he
> presented more concrete examples attitudes could change.

I agree.  As I have said ... probably many times now, 99% of Wiktionary
articles are stubs.[1]  Taking these as a model for a stricter dictionary
format may relegate the "Ultimate" Wiktionary to the status of a mere
glossary.  But without even having had a mock-up of what the product will
look like or how it will work, noone can tell.  A lot of the work for
this is apparently being done by a small few behind closed doors, which is
not very encouraging at all.

	*Muke!
[1] And having five thousand one-word translations attached to each won't
make them any less stubby.
--
website:     http://frath.net/
LiveJournal: http://kohath.livejournal.com/

FrathWiki, a conlang and conculture wiki:
http://wiki.frath.net/