[Wiktionary-l] GNU-FDL and Ultimate Wiktionary

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Mon May 30 07:18:01 UTC 2005

> I see Gerard's vision as being based in the need for technical solutions
> for machine translations.  In theory with his method one should be able
> to look up a word in one's own language and immediately be able to find
> a corresponding term in whatever other language one desires.  I at least
> agree with him that such an approach would require far more
> sophisticated software than what we now employ.  Much of what he
> proposes appears to be very highly dependent on templates and technical
> codification rather that plain language editing, and I'm afraid that
> that would scare away many potential new contributors who don't feel
> comfortable with the more technical approach.

I think its a safe assumption that it isn't for machine translation.
Plenty of crappy machine translators already :). The problem with
Wiktionary as it stands is that there's really one way to view it - as
a web page. If you want to query it (translations of the word 'mouse',
all Romanian nouns) you can't really. Its not 'machine readable'
(perhaps what you meant). Its not flexible, if there's desire to
change the formatting of the articles (entry formating is a much less
obvious and more complicated job then in Wikipedia) it would be a huge
undertaking. We'd have to see it to judge it obviously. It should be
decided that it is the way to go or that it is not... we shouldn't
ever have two competing Wiktionaries.