[Wiktionary-l] Re: De-capitalisation-isation

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Tue Jun 22 17:07:02 UTC 2004

Timwi wrote:

> last time we discussed this, I think there was consensus to switch the
> English Wiktionary to make it stop capitalising article titles, right?

Guys! Please keep this on the mailing list, and don't reply to me
personally. Thanks!

(Maybe the mailing list administrator should set a Reply-To header?)

Brion wrote:

> This idea relies on the existence of the script for step (2). :)

The idea was that I would write it. (Where else would my involvement in
this be? :-p)

> Note that there may be an effect on usernames

I'll leave the usernames capitalised, I guess.

Ray Saintonge wrote:

> Whatever process we choose will require some manual fix-up.  The
> process that you suggest is as good as any.

My suggestion will require significantly less manual fix-up than moving
400,000 articles to lower-case versions manually.

> How can we show capitalization when a linked word begins a sentence?

The same way as everywhere else, [[until|Until]].

> Is there some way to integrate upper cased, lower cased and accented
> characters in generated lists?

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by this.

> I don't remember it being a consensus at all. I seem
> to recall some being quite opposed to it.

Really? Can you provide links? I only remember people emphasising that
they don't mind because they think the current work-around work
perfectly for them. I seriously don't see how anyone can seriously be
opposed to having a dictionary with correct spellings. :/

Timwi