[Wiktionary-l] Why use so many (small) messages)

Gerard.Meijssen gerardm at myrealbox.com
Wed Jun 16 06:37:56 UTC 2004

LS,
Tim Starling wondered why we want to use so many messages in wiktionary. The reason is that the same article can be copied to another wiktionary (that contains the native content for the same messages). This will result in a correct article for the word. As an example the word [[Nederlands]], [[Engels]],  [[English]] can be found in the Japanese wiktionary.

Another example is when a translation has been added to a participating wiktionary, this translation can be added to all other participating wiktonaries. Yes, a bot needs to be written to do that, but that is the intention. Example; I have added _loads_ of new translations for the word [[English]] and [[Dutch]] on the en:wiktionary. (Originating from Timwi's website and then nl:wiktionary)

Thanks,
  GerardM