[Wikipedia-l] starting a new language

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 13:56:35 UTC 2006

Hoi,
You are utterly barking up the wrong tree. Complying with standards does
not mean that you cannot have things outside of the standards. It means
that you comply with the standards as far as they go. There is no reason
at all not to have new projects when these projects comply with what the
Wikimedia Foundation accepts as it's policy for that type of project.

Your assumptions are blinding you. It is also rich that you use "the
community" as an argument. This same community has asked for the closure
of wikipedias that you fought tooth and nail to preserve. In a previous
post you were talking about political reasons to do certain things.
Political arguments are the ultimate POINT OF VIEW. When we are to come
to a reasonable policy for new projects, flash crowds and political
arguments will have to be considered of little importance because they
either deny or ask for things that have little linguistic merit.
Remember, what we aim to achieve; bringing knowledge to all people in
their own language.

To repeat and conclude; compliance with standards does not prevent the
creation of new version of WMF projects.

Thanks,
    GerardM