[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia in schools, and blocked IP:s

habj sweetadelaide at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 20:21:07 UTC 2006

This might well have been discussed thoroughly before. If so, I would
be very grateful for a pointer to the old thread.

Some teachers use Wikipedia in schools. Some schools also get their
IP:s blocked because of heavy vandalism, from the computers in the
school library and computer labs etc. The semi-new feature that an IP
can be blocked but editing of logged-in editors from that same IP
address is permitted, means these teachers have to tell their students
to create accounts. However, there is a limit to how many accounts can
be created a day from each IP-address - and so, it is not possible for
the whole class to create that user account. Blocking the school's IP
in this case prevents the teacher from using Wikipedia and introducing
the pupils/students in school.

Is there a good solution to this?

How many of the Wikipedias out there use this feature for eternal or
very long term blocks of IP:s of shared computers, which is the source
of lots of graffiti? What is the experience of this?

We are currently discussing this feature at Swedish Wikipedia, and
would greatly appreciate input from others.

/habj