[Wikipedia-l] [Foundation-l] contents under education/information licenses

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 18:13:02 UTC 2006

On 11/21/06, Artur Fijałkowski <wiki.warx at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/11/21, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com>:
>
> > Now let me try and shift the debate a little here. Let us consider
> > that the ESA, or whatever other organisation, comes up with a licence
> > of their own. Let us imagine they allow free use of their images (in
> > our free sense) *except* for political propaganda. Would that in any
> > way be an acceptable thing to go by? Or is that definitely something
> > we can't accept? It's a real question, I have no real opinion about
> > this.
>
> We are trying to forget (maybe even successfully)  that even our free
> licenses have some exceptions:
> * things like COAs which are in most countries PD, aren't 100% free -
> eg. local government can make their own restrictions about their COA
> on their territory which reduces freedom :)
> * If I put someones photo on CC-BY-SA (and he has given me right to do
> it) it doesn't mean that this image can be used eg. for advertising
> anti conception pills, because this person has still rights to protect
> his image..
>
> So if ESA has only this problem, I think, that ''special'' license
> compatible in every other aspect with PD, or CC-BY-SA is acceptable,
> but if ESA wants as stated some posts earlier any special treatment
> (educational use only, etc.) it's killing idea of freedom and I don't
> know how about other wikimedians, but I will leave projects, because
> I'm not worse than ESA so I want same treatment!

I think you're pointing out exactly what I tried to explain in David's
reasoning, which I believe he probably expressed the wrong way around.
Or which I am twisting to my way around ;-).

My take is that these organisations need to be taught that it's better
to make a licence with two exceptions (advertisement and political
purposes, for example) rather than try the broader and anyway, in my
opinion, non enforceable way of "educational and informational use
only". And I may be dreaming, but I am pretty sure that with time and
patience we can bring these organisations to something like that and
end up with free-er images and material than an "educational use only"
type thing.

Thanx also for bringing up the COA question, because I had that in
mind as I wrote my post, but don't know enough about it to use it as
an example.

Delphine
--
~notafish