[Wikipedia-l] [Foundation-l] contents under education/information licenses

Artur Fijałkowski wiki.warx at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 17:40:17 UTC 2006

2006/11/21, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com>:

> Now let me try and shift the debate a little here. Let us consider
> that the ESA, or whatever other organisation, comes up with a licence
> of their own. Let us imagine they allow free use of their images (in
> our free sense) *except* for political propaganda. Would that in any
> way be an acceptable thing to go by? Or is that definitely something
> we can't accept? It's a real question, I have no real opinion about
> this.

We are trying to forget (maybe even successfully)  that even our free
licenses have some exceptions:
* things like COAs which are in most countries PD, aren't 100% free -
eg. local government can make their own restrictions about their COA
on their territory which reduces freedom :)
* If I put someones photo on CC-BY-SA (and he has given me right to do
it) it doesn't mean that this image can be used eg. for advertising
anti conception pills, because this person has still rights to protect
his image..

So if ESA has only this problem, I think, that ''special'' license
compatible in every other aspect with PD, or CC-BY-SA is acceptable,
but if ESA wants as stated some posts earlier any special treatment
(educational use only, etc.) it's killing idea of freedom and I don't
know how about other wikimedians, but I will leave projects, because
I'm not worse than ESA so I want same treatment!

AJF/WarX