[Wikipedia-l] Use of images (again)

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 01:32:12 UTC 2006

> >   So - can I or can't I have this particular picture of a Beatles single
> sleeve, considering that it is ok to put up on en.wiki?
> IMHO, whenever in doubt the answer should be "load it on commons".

I disagree!!! How about finding out what the image use policies are of
these wikis?

En.wp allows fair use, clearly. So was this image uploaded under the
terms of fair use? (Ieg. does it have some kind of red copyright
symbol on the page and a big statement about fair use?) Then
definitely DON'T upload it to Commons.

As for using it in scn.wp, that depends entirely on scn.wp's image use
policy. Do they have one? If not, now would be a good time to develop
one.

For example, do they allow fair use images? Under what terms and requirements?

Please do not upload fair use items to the Commons. (Yeah, I'm an
admin there...)

> I suppose the real problem is that we should have a global copyright policy
> stated and translated for it to be published on all servers as a part of the
> distributed UI on Betawiki "prior" to opening any new edition. This really
> is a job for lawyers, it cannot be done by taking guesses  since it impacts
> both on content management and on the risk of people being sued for
> copyright infringement. The most important thing to make clear is: who is
> subject to whose laws, and by what criteria one can objectively determine
> it. Once we get this clear, the rest is a pure matter of logics.

Sorry, but that's not going to happen. The lawyers (baffingly) seem to
be happy with the current situation where total amatuers try to
untangle international copyright all by their lonesome. Go figure.

Brianna

{en.wp, commons}:User:pfctdayelise