[Wikipedia-l] Use of images (again)

Marco Chiesa chiesa.marco at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 18:51:13 UTC 2006

I am not an expert, but I am pretty sure that a non-Italian person who
is not in Italy and uploads on a server which is not in Italy cannot be
subject to Italian law. I'm not even sure that the fact that some
servers are in Holland is enough for Dutch law to matter. Copyright on
internet is quite a complicated matter, and it would be very nice to
have things more clear (also for things like public domain). On
it.wikipedia fairuse images have been limited through a community poll
in order to avoid potential copyright issues, Italian law is taken as a
reference since most users and readers are Italian (and therefore are
subject to Italian law). However, scn.wikipedia is a different project
so decisions taken by it.wikipedia should be no more relevant than
decisions taken by any other project. As far as I understand, if I
upload something from country X I have to abide laws of country X and
laws of the USA (country where the servers are or where WMF is
registered) - which means that if country X does not admit fair use the
user would be infringing copyright if uploading fair use material from
country X. However, I would appreciate any effort of the WMF lawyers to
clarify this situation.

Marco (aka Cruccone)