[Wikipedia-l] Tajik wikipedia (again)

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 08:27:23 UTC 2006

Minh Nguyen wrote:
> Francis Tyers wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Would it be possible to get Ғғ Ққ Ӣӣ Ӯӯ Ҳҳ Ҷҷ on the bottom of the edit
>> box? (Like we have for the special characters on the en and ro
>> Wikipedias)?
>>
>> Also how does one go about getting the interface language changed? Are
>> there po files that can be edited?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Fran
>>

> Hi Fran,
>
> If you have administrator privileges at the Tajik Wikipedia, go to
> <http://tg.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Allmessages> and click on the
> links under the "Name" column to translate each message individually.
> I'd suggest translating the most prominent messages that way at first,
> although you'll eventually want to create a LanguageTg.php file with all
> the localization strings, so that MediaWiki can come bundled with a
> Tajik localization in the future:
> <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Language.php>.
Hoi,
However well intended this advice is, it is not necessarily the best
place for doing the localisation, yes it has the advantage of instant
gratification but there is also an effort underway at the "Betawiki"
http://nike.users.idler.fi/dev/index.php?title=ISO-639-3/tgk for Tajik.
The advantage of doing translations here is that it is an environment
set up to help you do your localisation work. This includes procedures
to check to what still needs doing in translation. Translating here
ensures that the work becomes part of MediaWiki itself, it means that
the work also propagates to WikiBooks, WikiSource and any other
MediaWiki project with the application of new versions of the software.

One would for instance think that the nld localisation would be more or
less a finished product. It proves that there is still a massive amount
work to be done in order to achieve a full localisation. It is therefore
that I use this opportunity to everyone to check out the Betawiki and
coordinate changes done to the MediaWiki messages there.

Thanks,
    GerardM