[Wikipedia-l] 80/20

Giuseppe DAngelo pippudoz at yahoo.it
Thu Jul 27 11:54:13 UTC 2006

The reason for the over-representation of female leaders (in comparison to their overall numbers)?  C'mon - we all know the reason!  Blokes are bloody hopeless, that's why!  Those of us who have had the misfortune of living in all-male accomodation will be able to confirm my thesis.  Interestingly, even in a tiny project like the Sicilian wikipedia, the average (and thesis) holds true.  One of the 5 "Capi" is female - but we would be absolutely lost without her.
  pippu d'a

It is my anecdotal sense based on wikipedia meetups and interactions
online that about 80% of Wikipedians are male, that this number is
better than most free software projects, but worse than I think most of
us would like, and that the leadership of the projects tends to be much
more heavily female than the averages would suggest.

We have many strong female leaders in various projects. I leave it to
others to speculate why this might be. :)

--Jimbo