[Wikipedia-l] Help spreading the news

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Tue Jul 25 10:36:48 UTC 2006

Hi,

About some 9 months ago I started with an attempt to bring news with a
newsletter "Wikizine". I try to bring different types of news like
"Foundation", "Community", "Media" , "Technical news" and so.

So I, and the people who help me,  try to bring the news for the
Wikimedia family.

I am writing this fist of all to ask for your cooperation with this
newsletter. To be able to report news first the news must be known.

Currently Wikizine is frequently English-centric.  The reason is that
I have as a direct source for information only the English language
projects information and the Dutch. For information from the other
projects I depends on reports by users from those projects. And those
reports are few in numbers.

So I would like to request that if there is news about your Wikipedia,
especially for
the non-English editions, that you would report the news to Wikizine.

A way to make it more likely that someone will think about Wikizine is
to put a banner on your userpage or even better on a public page like
the local "Village pump", the community portal, announcement page or so.

Here you can find some banners;
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikizine/banners

This would increase the exposure to Wikizine by your local community.
And this can result in more users reading it and knowing what is going
on outside there project. And maybe even get the idea to report
something interesting about what is going on on there wiki.

A problem is that Wikzine is written only in English. To get the news
downhill to as most of the projects and especially languages as
possible Wikizine can only be in English. But it would be fantastic if
people would be willing to translate the news and share it with there
community. The Italian Wikipedia is doing this infrequently now
already for some time. And also providing partial translations
sometimes.

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bar/Wikizine

A total translation of Wikizine is great but also a lot of work. Maybe
only translating the most relevant news can be enough for starting.
You could work together across the different projects in the same
languages. By cross-project cooperation the work of translation can be
shared.

Just only subscribing to Wikizine only is also useful of course. Then
you at least are informed.

Reading Wikizine can by email. Just click here below and follow the
instructions;
mailto:request at wikizine.org?subject=subscribe

Or you can also read Wikizine from the website;
http://www.wikizine.org

Thank you for reading this and I hope to receive some more news from
the non-English Wikipedias!

Greetings,
Walter

walter AT wikizine DOT org