[Wikipedia-l] Marketing: a question

Berto albertoserra at ukr.net
Wed Jul 12 15:30:03 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I'll better explain the whole story... our situation is:
1) after getting some nice media exposure traffic started to rise (about 5
published articles since March, 27; 2 of them on national media)
2) people do register, but actually 90% of what we get is from anon users,
from the grammar mistakes they usually make I'd say it's at least 4 main
contributors working almost every day, but all efforts to contact them have
proved unsuccesful this far

Now, I get the impression that a number of papers could use us as a free
source for some kind "Not everybody knows that..." section of their papers.
This would:
1) get a permanent exposure to the wiki
2) increase wiki's authorithy as a public data source
3) get people in touch with the written form of their language.

The main contribution waves came exactly when important media published pms
text quoted from the wiki, so it seems to make sense to work on this. Most
people are not familiar both with reading and writing the language and with
the very concept of a wiki. By acquiring some stable presence in the paper
media we could use the trend that is manifesting itself on spontaneous
basis.

It's not a problem to have a small copyright related text published in small
chars, from our marketing POV we'd want the wiki URL published in bigger
chars. Please bear in mind that given the current trend we'll have NO way to
contact 90% of the authors.

От: "Andre Engels" <andreengels at gmail.com>
> This article is an adaptation from the Wikipedia article "Nonsense",
> which can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonsense. It falls
> under the GNU Free Documentation License, which means that it can be
> copied and distributed by anyone in modified in modified or unmodified
> form as long as the new publication is under the same license. See
> http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html for the text of the license. A
> copy of this article can be found on our website at
> http://www.somenewspaper.com/article/08-11/fromwikipedia.htm.

Newspapers will need a much shorter text, IMHO. We are going to stand
somewhere in the "local chronicle" page, sometimes in the "Culture" section,
we cannot really expect them to waste this much room. What about writing:
"The original text is published at http://pms.wikipedia.org/wiki/article and
released under a GNU Free Documentation License. Details can be obtained at
http://pms.wikipedia.org/Wikipedia/GNUFDL "

At this point we would use a template to point readers of the original
article to a machine readable copy inside the wiki, in a special namespace
(say Printed_Articles:), where one could know who published what and were.

If it seems to make sense to the people here I'll try my luck in asking the
board to issue an official authorisation for this use.
Thanks
Bèrto

PS I suggest to all minor language edition to try this marketing trick. And
the smaller and more local the paper mentioning you, the more contributors
you seem to get. Just make sure that text gets published in the same
language as the original.