[Wikipedia-l] Protest!!!!

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 21:02:43 UTC 2006

Andre Engels, your position is: changes to interface should get consensus
before. So, when a new extension is added, or changed, and there're several
new (renamed) messages, should i kindly ask permission for translating it
from english? Don't be ridiculous! I translate them, and if i make mistakes
or something is wrong, another one will change it. It's a wiki, do you
remember? Changing outdated messages is fine to me. And if the other version
is equivalent, there's no 'large change'.

> The action itself was hostile. On Wikipedia we work with consensus,
> not one person doing something and the rest being given a fait
> accompli.
We also [[Wikipedia:Assume good faith|]]. Asking a poll on every change
would [[Wikipedia:Don't disrupt Wikipedia to illustrate a point|disrupt
Wikipedia]]

> It has been argued that others want to be part of the decision of what
> are project specific messages. It has been argued that others want to
> know what is going to happen. It has been argued that others want to
> be part of the decision on which message of two similar ones is the
> better one.
*Then*, it should be argued, but only after it was asked.

> That's your opinion. Mine is that there was. It would have been better
> to discuss this in advance.
And teh sysop's opinion that it wasn't :D

>Someone who does that and afterward does not realize that it's a bad idea,
>breaks
> it.

He doesn't need to realize that "it is a bad idea". There isn't even
consensus about if it was a good idea or not!
You can simply make policy saying: "Noone can change more than 5 mediawiki
messages in a month without having asked the community". Then you can claim
bad faith (or ignorance...). Anyway, i'm sure this user wil think twice and
five times before changing a MediaWiki messsage.