[Wikipedia-l] mo - let's make a point ...

Sabine Cretella sabine_cretella at yahoo.it
Tue Jul 4 14:56:17 UTC 2006

1) mo = ISO 639 language code for Moldovan - it refers solely to a
language and not a territory (this seems to be mixed up every now and then)
2) like Mark already said, they would continue the project anyway, also
outside the WMF (remember the contents is GFDL and may be used by
anyone) ... well one point to consider is: if you want to assure NPOV
than you need to have that project within the WMF - outside there is no
more guarantee about NPOV
3) following a research among colleagues (translators) Moldovan is
listed as a separate language when it comes to in which and from which
language is being translated - so there must be a real difference,
otherwise translators would just say "Romanian"
4) we have "native speakers" in several projects that have a lower
written language knowledge (even if these people are to be considered of
mother tongue), the reasons for this are several and different from
country to country - many of them started to write their language again
when the wikipedia was started and after some time they again gained a
much better written level of that language, contributing to cultural
diversity and helping to understand their culture - this also leads to
better understanding of other people and therefore to less conflicts.

Now considering these points (I could work out some more, but the main
point for me is definitely NPOV) for me things are obvious ... but of
course they cannot be obvious to all.

Well, I'll be away for some days from tomorrow on - and anyway I already
was too much involved in this and really don't want to get further
involved - it is not a nice thread and I like positive things best.

Best, Sabine