[Wikipedia-l] Serbo-Croatian wikipedia

Caroline Ford caroline at secretlondon.me.uk
Sun Jan 8 16:41:02 UTC 2006

But linguistically almost _the_ test of "what is a language" is mutual
comprehensibility. If they are mutually comprehensible they you should be
able to understand Bosnians or Croats.

If the communication problems result from shared cultural assumptions (eg
religious, popular culture references) then this no different from speakers
of various varieties of English.

Once you say they are mutually comprehensible you are saying that for
non-social reasons they are the same language.

Caroline/secretlondon