[Wikipedia-l] images on commons and gfdl

Guillaume Blanchard gblanchard at arcsy.co.jp
Wed Jan 19 03:00:53 UTC 2005

Daniel Mayer wrote:

> --- Guillaume Blanchard <gblanchard at arcsy.co.jp> wrote:
>
>> Unify licence template ({{GFDL}}, {{CC-BY-SA}}, etc.) on all Wikipedia
>> may help a lot.
>> When we use an image from Commons on local Wikipedia, the software may
>> include the Commons' description page next to local description (both on
>> the same page). So, even if people don't enter local information (say
>> translation), we may be able to see the original information.
>> For example :
>

> Transcluding the raw wikitext from Commons and running it through the
> local
> wiki's parsar should do that automatically so long as templates with the
> correct names exist on each wiki (which you already mentioned).
>
> For this to work though, these templates will all have to be able to
> take an
> {{{Author}}} variable - otherwise the author's name may get lost in a
> jumble of
> words from a different language in that part of the transcluded text.
>
> This would automatically translate the most important part of any such
> message
> (the license) and give prominent placement to the author's name. Any other
> parts of the transcluded text (such as a caption) would need to be
> translated
> by somebody from the local wiki and placed below the original
> transcluded text
> box on the local wiki's image description page.
>
> -- mav

We can wrote all information into templates like this:

{{image_description|Picture of the Yokohama harbour}}
{{image_author|G. Blanchard}}
{{image_source|From my homepage http://foo.oeg}} or some pre-made
template like {{image_source|{{Personal_work}}}}
{{image_licence|{{GFDL}}}}

Like this, if we parse the Commons' message on local project we can
translate automatically main part the messages (except non-standard
messages like 'description'). Editable part of the local page may be use
for 'real' translation.
I think automatically half-translated description available on local
project is many time better than fully non translated description on
Commons (especially for licence information).

Aoineko