[Wikipedia-l] Celebrity users

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed Jan 12 01:08:32 UTC 2005

Sean Barrett wrote:
> use it.  The specific example I used was my colleague Moamar Qazafi.  I
> was told most emphatically that because his parents made the mistake of
> giving him a name that the parents of the Libyan dictator also chose, he
> would not be allowed to edit Wikipedia under his real name.

You were not told this by me, and there is no policy which would support
this.  Please don't confuse random emails from I don't know who with policy.

If there are actual cases of people with real names being barred from
editing wikipedia due to people being offended by those names, then
please tell me.

Otherwise, let's not get hysterical about a commonsense policy, huh?

--Jimbo