[Wikipedia-l] Strange idea

Frank v Waveren fvw.wikipediaml at var.cx
Tue Feb 1 04:43:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 09:15:48PM -0700, Mark Williamson wrote:
> I thought that perhaps, for a trial period, we could add a
> prominently-placed button in articles for not-logged-in readers with
> the title of "Report an Error or Suggest Information to Add".
>
> Since so many people don't realise that Wikipedia is for anybody to
> edit, this could take them to a new page that explained in bold
> letters the concept of Wikipedia and that they could edit the article
> themselves, but still have an error-report field in case they still
> didn't get it.
>
> While this would obviously be open to abuse, it might also provide
> useful feedback from people who otherwise wouldn't contribute
> anything, and would definitely serve to let these people know that the
> power is in their hands, what with the boldly-placed notice that THEY
> can fix it themselves and all.
>
> I'm sure there would be way too much feedback to ever completely sift
> through, but I still think it might be useful.
Sounds like a useful idea. No need for big codebase changes either,
the "add feedback" form could just be an "add new section" edit form
for the article's talk page.

--
Frank v Waveren                                      Fingerprint: BDD7 D61E
fvw@[var.cx|stack.nl] ICQ#10074100                      5D39 CF05 4BFC F57A