[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia on Volokh Conspiracy

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Tue Oct 19 03:54:34 UTC 2004

http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2004_10_14.shtml#1098119066

I'll be blogging about this in the morning, but I did want to say that
I think Orin Kerr is right about this particular entry, but wrong
about how wikipedia works and the degree of commitment that the
community has to getting it right.

In particular, I think he's wrong about this part:
>If I understand accurately how Wikipedia works -- a big 'if,' I should
>point out -- my views of what is in the Patriot Act are no more and no
>less valued by Wikipedia than the views of any other Internet user.

About this, I very much think he's wrong.  Certainly I am not aware of
any serious support for this kind of wholesale intellectual relativism
in any wikipedia discussions.  Instead, there's always an underlying
and thorough commitment to _getting it right_.

I do wonder how, in the long run, we will deal more effectively with
the kind of POV warrioring that leads to entries like this
one... where politically motivated hysteria leads to blatant factual
errors.

--Jimbo