[Wikipedia-l] Re: One Wikipedia - two scripts

Erdal Ronahi erdal.ronahi at gmx.net
Tue Oct 12 08:42:20 UTC 2004

Hi Mark and everybody,

Yes, Tahoma works (but is ugly and therefore not used on ar: for
example) and is even more widespread than Unikurd Web. I just tried it
on http://ku.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Fontexample. The words there
should look similar with the only difference being the diacriticals.

I have not expressed myself correctly. The problem was not only the
font, but the fact one cannot tell Wikipedia to use one font throughout
an article if there are headings and lists. For the page name it doesn't
work anyway. Something I forgot to mention was the edit window, words
appear differently in the edit window and on the page or in the preview.

An automatic script converter would be a fine thing, but there are also
dialect differences. So an article in the two main dialects Kurmanci and
Sorani would exist four times after automatic conversion into both
scripts. At the moment we have three dialects represented which are only
partly mutually intellegible. Until now all Sorani is written in arabic
letter, all Kurmanci and Zazaki in latin letter with links to each other
if the same article exists in different dialects. We like it that way,
there were no objections yet.

But because arabic and latin script are used for either of them,
automatic script conversion would be fine on the long run. Technically
it should be possible, as far as I know 1:1 conversion is possible.

Erdal