[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Hyperlink convention

Stirling Newberry stirling.newberry at xigenics.net
Fri Oct 1 10:07:35 UTC 2004

>> I heartily disagree. The current approach is a constant source of
>> disagreement and worsening of linguistic tensions. I am always
>> running into minor tiffs over British vs American spelling that could
>> be eliminated with multi-dialect support. This would also mean that
>> when I run into a Britishism on an article that might be confusing or
>> misleading to an American reader, instead of changing it to an
>> Americanism and drawing the ire of the original author (or changing
>> it to something neutral and probably drawing the ire of the original
>> author), the original author's Britishism can stay, the Americanism
>> will be viewable to Americans, and everyone is a little bit happier.

Getting to consensus, even if the process is acrimonious, is part of
what we do here. If there is a localized expression, then it should be
filed away, even if the original editor isn't happy with it. Getting to
NPOV doesn't just mean overt biases, but also the less overt ones, one
of which is geographic origin. So if you run into it, comment it or put
it on the discussion page and keep going.