[Wikipedia-l] Creative Commons Licence

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Mar 12 18:02:13 UTC 2004

Anthony DiPierro wrote:
> But fair use photos are also not GNU free.  And what about photos which
> are fair use *and* CC-ND?  Isn't this better than photos which are fair
> use with no license?  I should note that CC-ND explicitly places
> encyclopedias under the category of a collective work.  As long as you
> don't modify the image itself (beyond that allowed by fair use), you're
> fine.

I think that's a very interesting question, actually.  I'm very
inclined to say yes.

What I'm firmly against is any images that we can use because of our
special status.  That is, images licensed just to us for just our use
as an example.  Images licensed under non-free terms as another
example.

But if we're using it under fair use, and it meets our guidelines for
fair use (mainly that there's no possible free alternative, and that
fair use would be fair use for almost anyone) so that we're
comfortable using it, and it is *additionally* available under a
semi-free or nearly-free license, that sounds good to me.

What we want to avoid, though, is a reliance on CC-ND in cases where
if we tried, we could successfully "make the sale" to someone for a
reallly free license.

--Jimbo