[Wikipedia-l] Re: Theora and video policy...

Peter Gervai grin at tolna.net
Thu Jun 24 22:43:50 UTC 2004

Life is tough.

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 09:03:41PM +0100, Timwi wrote:
> >The decoder at the very least is almost certainly
> >legally okay, and widely available in players like winamp and xmms, and
> >even the encoders, like LAME, are rather common and have not received
> >legal threats.
>
> As far as I'm aware, LAME is specifically paying the patent royalties.

<quote>
Using the LAME encoding engine (or other mp3 encoding technology) in your
software may require a patent license in some countries.
</quote>

> Decoding MP3 is patent-free, that is correct. Same with GIF.

<quote>
PC Software applications which incorporate mp3 / mp3PRO decoding
(player, decoder) and software applications incorporating mp3 /
 mp3PRO encoding capabilities (encoder, ripper, recorder, jukebox).
[...]

    mp3 patent-only license
This patent-only license is needed in case the mp3 software is
developed in-house or licensed from a third party.
Decoder                 . US$ 0.75 per unit or US$ 50 000.00 one-time paid-up
Encoder / Codec         . US$ 2.50 per unit

Note: This license does not cover the right to distribute,
broadcast and/or stream mp3 / mp3PRO encoded data. These rights are
covered by the licenses described under Electronic Music
Distribution / Broadcasting / Streaming.
</quote>

http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html

Dunno about any problems with GIF *decoding*, but you surely cannot *create*
compressed GIFs without paying.

Peter