[Wikipedia-l] Re: Theora and video policy...

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Thu Jun 24 20:51:37 UTC 2004

Timwi wrote:
> Delirium wrote:
>> The decoder at the very least is almost certainly legally okay, and
>> widely available in players like winamp and xmms, and even the
>> encoders, like LAME, are rather common and have not received legal
>> threats.
>
> As far as I'm aware, LAME is specifically paying the patent royalties.
>
> Decoding MP3 is patent-free, that is correct. Same with GIF.

Our content license requires that we provide materials in editable form.
That means we expect people to create, as well as consume, these
materials; indeed we've built the whole project around people like us
coming to visit and contribute material, rather than a central
controlling entity producing materials itself that visitors merely consume.

Formats that can't be encoded aren't really fitting with that.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)