[Wikipedia-l] Theora and video policy...

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Jun 23 07:19:59 UTC 2004

Robert Graham Merkel wrote:

>The choice is Theora or nothing.

That's only the case if we're GNU-style ideologues.  There are, of
course, other video formats that work, which millions of people use
daily, and which we could easily start using tomorrow.  Indeed, some of
them, notably MPEG, have large bodies of existing public-domain video
available from various public archives, which would only be usable at a
significant reduction in quality if we transcoded it to Theora.

Personally I prefer Theora once the tools are available, but I don't see
it as a "Theora or nothing" choice.  It's "between Theora and MPEG, MPEG
currently is far superior, but in the future I would lean slightly
towards Theora if support for it were good."

-Mark