[Wikipedia-l] Theora and video policy...

Robert Graham Merkel robert.merkel at benambra.org
Wed Jun 23 06:07:26 UTC 2004

With regards to the discussion I prompted on Video formats, might I
suggest those people interested have a look at

http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_policy

To my knowledge, however, nobody has yet tried to actually add video to the
Wikipedia.

As far as all the charges of excessive idealism at work here in the
existing choice of Ogg Vorbis for sound and (prospectively) Theora
for video, might I just repeat the key point I made on that page:
there are no other open, unencumbered video formats available.
The choice is Theora or nothing.

                                           Robert Merkel
                                     robert.merkel at benambra.org
                                        http://benambra.org

"...the moral issues raised by driving a car, both from an
environmental and from a safety point of view, are much more
serious than those raised by sex" -- Peter Singer