[Wikipedia-l] New Wikipedia language

Ian Mackinnon ianm2000uk at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 15 18:43:44 UTC 2004

Well, not really a new language, but I'm frustrated that Traditional Chinese
is lumped into the  Simplified Chinese version of Wikipedia. The problem
with this is the main page is only in Simplified Chinese and when looking up
articles, it does not go directly to the page but gives the option to choose
whether you want to go to the simplified or the traditional version.

I strongly request that the Traditional Chinese version of Wikipedia be
given it's own language space, tw.wikipedia.org would be better. It should
be common sense that these 2 styles of writing should not be combined
together. Overseas Chinese and non-China born/educated persons who studied
traditional Chinese writing have difficulty reading the simplified version.
The current configuration just makes it frustrating to browse articles.

A real good argument I can give for this is why does wikipedia have
simple.wikipedia.org for "Simple English" instead of it being lumped into
en.wikipedia.org? I hope you see what I'm talking about and split
zh.wikipedia.org and tw.wikipedia.org so there's no more confusion for
Chinese readers of wikipedia.org

Thanks!