AW: [Wikipedia-l] Re: Klingon resurrected

André Müller andrew1985 at gmx.de
Wed Jun 9 00:22:38 UTC 2004

To Erik Moeller & Brion Vibber...

  Does Google look like an unserious project to you, just because it's
available in Klingon? Do you *really* think users would go to the
Wikipedia site, find all those useful information, get amazed by the
amount of its wisdom and diversity... then find the Klingon link and
leave the site immediately?
  I'm sure most people who aren't interested in Klingon, Star Trek or
conlangs would see the link, think something like "Klingon? Oh, uhm,
nice..." and forget about this part of the Wikipedia. I absolutely don't
believe that a Klingon Wikipedia would scare off users or potential
contributors, as you and some others seem to think. It's not that hard
to draw a line between 'popular' conlangs and private ones, as we
finally seemed to have agreed on (concerning the ISO/SIL standards).

  Maybe my Google example wasn't representative, since Google's also
available in numerous nonsense fun-langs. There won't be a Ikipedia-way
or a w1k1p3d14 of course.
I can't imagine that a Klingon one would have a negative influence.
Maybe a slightly positive one as it will attract Trekkies, linguists and
conlang fans.

  No one would reject a site just because there is an ignorable option.
Besides, the language link would read "tlhIngan Hol", which is rather
hard to track back to the word "Klingon". Toki Pona links also read
"Toki Pona" and not "that conlang with the 120 words, ya know".

(sorry for this long post, I can never keep myself shortwinded)

- André