[Wikipedia-l] Re:MBTI

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Tue Jun 1 05:47:00 UTC 2004

Anthere wrote:

>But after we noticed an apparent predominance of NT,
>who think of
>
>* why are those predominant ? What is the positive
>feedback given to them and not given to others ?
>
>* Are the other groups not attracted by WP ? Or are
>they quickly leaving because they can't meet their
>needs ?

To put it simply, airline pilots are not encyclopedists. The
personality traits that make for a good pilot, for instance
split-second assessment and decision, are more likely to
generate conflicts in WP than to resolve them.

>* is it good for wikipedia community that mostly NT
>are here ? Would not we benefit of more types ? How to
>attract them and *keep* them ?

To take a different angle, you want people who are
introspective, because they're the ones who will want to
think about why they organizing information in a particular
way. You've already run into the non-introspectors; they
loudly declare that their way is the only way, and would
rather fight than figure out a compromise.

In general, we want people who are well-suited for the task
of building the information base. It doesn't do us any good
to bring in people who are ill-suited; they won't like it,
won't last long, and you probably won't like the results
of their work.

Stan