[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia-l Digest, Vol 12, Issue 25

Ilya Haykinson haykinson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 05:55:43 UTC 2004

> Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:48:29 -0700
> From: "Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales" <jwales at wikia.com>
> Subject: [Wikipedia-l] A WikiJamSession Fantasy
> .
> So, I had this idea for something we could do as a part of a drive
> towards 1.0.  We could get permission from a library or libraries in
> some densely populated centers around the world to gain admission
> during a holiday or weekend that they would normally be closed.  We'd
> set up a wireless broadband network and bring together as many people
> as possible to work together day and night in a fun atmosphere to fact
> check articles and process them for final publication in a CD-ROM,
> with an eye towards print as well of course.

I think that this is a really awesome idea. Even more awesome if we
could do this on roughly the same day, in order to get some
grass-roots and formal publicity. Logistics will include getting
locations, getting good amounts of local volunteers to run the event
at each location (and handle the technical details). Perhaps we could
initially try to target some weekend in the November timeframe?

Getting libraries to open on a normal day-off might be a bit tough to
swing, but getting them to help out on a day they're open might be
easier.

-ilya haykinson