[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wikide-l] Neues Uploadformular

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 14 03:01:11 UTC 2004

I thought I should act on Andre's suggestion at wikide-l that this
proposal be discussed globally, so I forwarded and translated his post
in my previous message. If you take a look at the test upload form, it's
in German, but if any non-German-speakers have questions about it, feel
free to ask. Now for my comments.

Field 6, as with the current form, asks the user to confirm that the
copyrightholder agrees to the licensed use. Field 4 asks who created the
image and/or what is the source. Field 5 asks you to choose a license;
the options provided are GFDL, CC-by, CC-by-sa, and unknown. As
indicated, if you choose unknown, you get a message first about our
policy for using licensed images. All of these fields are required.

I think Andre has done excellent work, and this upload form should be
implemented on all Wikipedias as quickly as possible. I actually care
less about making users input licensing information, but as I've said
repeatedly, we absolutely need an upload form that *requires* source
information. This matters even more for Wikipedias that, unlike the
German Wikipedia, allow fair use images. According to international law,
we *must* provide source information in order to have copyrighted images
under fair use (or as the Berne Convention calls it, fair practice).

--Michael Snow