[Wikipedia-l] Wiki-images?

Andre Engels engelsAG at t-online.de
Fri Feb 27 13:54:21 UTC 2004

"Constans, Camille (C.C.)" <cconsta4 at ford.com> schrieb:
> I like this idea, but it doesnt exist yet elsewhere ? It's true that
> a wiki system would be nice.

Well, I have not found anything quite like it. As said, the closest thing
would be the GIMP Image Archive (http://gimp-savvy.com/PHOTO-ARCHIVE/),
but that one has only specific sources (NASA, NOAA, USDA and FWS). I would
like to give users the possibility to add images they found elsewhere (as
long as they're PD or Copyleft). It also suffers the disadvantage of not
having downloaded a context with the image, because of which it is often
not clear to the volunteer describing the picture what is actually on it.

A second similarity would be Google's image source, but there one cannot
choose to get only images that are PD or Copyleft, but has to wade through
masses of copyrighted images to see whether there is one that one is
allowed to use.

> But if a picture has nothing to do, how will you choose to keep or
> delete it ? Will we use the same system as wikipedia for pages deletion ?

That's a policy decision that is to be taken, but should not influence
whether and how this is done otherwise. My own opinion would be that 'unused
image' should not be a reason for deletion (on the other hand, unused images
on Wikipedia might well be transwikied), but that one might set up a system
to delete images that do not seem useful for Wikipedia or similar projects -
Here I think in the first place of "yet another image of a..."-cases.

Andre Engels