[Wikipedia-l] Re: What would Richard Stallman say?

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sat Feb 21 23:10:25 UTC 2004

Daniel Mayer wrote:
> Sorry but fair use exists outside the concept of copyright

In Swedish medieval law, I could borrow my neighbor's harrow without
asking, provided I returned it before sunset and replaced any pins
that were broken.

This text is just as hard to understand whether you speak Swedish or
not:

  XLIX. Vm æn man takær haruu manzs ælla tinda

  Nu takær man harw annars ok haruær mæþ um dagh; före atær firi sola
  sætær ok uari saklös. Takær ur tinda, gialdi firi fiura pænninga;
  takær ur atta, gialde firi huarn sua; takær ur þæn niunda, gialde
  firi niu örtughær. Förir han harvu iuir upgangxs akær, þa skal han
  haua haruv kialka; hauær han egh haruv kialka, þa böte atær spiællin
  ok mæþ siax öra.

Rough translation:

  49. If a man takes another man's harrow or pins

  A man takes another's harrow and harrows with it during the day;
  brings it back before the sun sets and is free of guilt.  Takes out
  a pin, yield four pennies; takes out eight, yield for each so;
  takes out the ninth, yield nine örtug (a larger coin).  If he brings
  the harrow across a sown field, then he shall have a sleigh
  underneath; if he has no sleigh, then pay for damages and six öre
  (another coin).

Not that this information helps the discussion in any way...
Perhaps it illustrates that "fair use" rights have gotten smaller and
smaller with time.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)
  Aronsson Datateknik - http://aronsson.se/