[Wikipedia-l] What would Richard Stallman say?

Robert Michel news at RobertMichel.de
Thu Feb 19 18:45:23 UTC 2004

Salve!

Am Donnerstag, 19. Februar 2004 16:50 schrieb Jimmy Wales:
> The moral argument is the one that matters.  Should we make use of
> materials that are available only to us because of our special
> circumstances, or should we follow a purist GNU philosophy?
>
> I think we all know what Richard Stallman would say, and I for one
> will agree with him completely.

You know the spirit of GNU, but you don`t know what he would say.

At the moments the discussions of wikipianer is narrow minded:
"Are I`m allowed to copy this without asking someone" instead of
starting a discussion "How can you motivate Copyrights owner to contribute one
impressfull picture to the Wikipedia"?

So I would please Richard Stallman to tell us:
"You are only asking for free resources - come on guys start to learn to
programm your one code (make the photos yourself) AND learn the soft skill to
motivate people to support your project and share a view of their personal
pictures."

BTW, when we discuss the problem with Richard, I would not be surpriced when
we would get another licence, the GNU-FPL (Free Picture Licence). I`m in
favor for hash codes and fingerprints like PGP to include all important
informations insied this signd file - GNU-FDL is not perferct for pictures.

But back to motivate you to think about how to learn the soft skill for asking
for contribution. I have worked on one artikel about one new lonly island in
Germany [[de:Kachelotplate]] and I found two webpages with an aerial photo of
this island and I have asked both to get one picture for the use with
GNU-FDL. The one wepage was a public authority and they excuse that they
haven`t the right for this picture, but they forwarded my mail to the
photographer.

Today, 10 days later I got a call form a very kind airman who had make this
pictures and he was impressed by our articels about aviation - he offerd a
full CD with many pictures of this island and he lifes on another island and
he got many ideas who to ask for more contribution for artikles and pictures
***g***

So know I`m sure we will have more than one aerial photos from only one
island.

I agree that asking people for contribute, support or join the wikipeadia
needs time - but in this case it was the work of 1h and we have now new
friends.
If you don`t ask, you can save 1h but some people you may make angry and you
will never have a chance again to win them as friend for our project.

==Advertisement for NGOs/GOs==
See [[de:Sable Island]] - for this artikle of an island befor the cost of
canada I found a picture made by NASA from the space shutel. There condition
to use is:

 For astronaut photography of Earth accessed through this website, please
state "Image courtesy of Earth Sciences and Image Analysis Laboratory, NASA
Johnson Space Center." We recommend that the caption for any photograph
published include the unique photo number (Mission-Roll-Frame), and our
website (http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov) so that others can locate or obtain copies
when needed. We always appreciate notification of beneficial uses of
astronaut photography of Earth-information on your applications. This will
help us continue to maintain these services for the public. Send e-mail to
earthweb at jsc.nasa.gov.

- Does this be conform with GNU-FDL?
- What does you think about the legend under the picture in the artikel

This picture is IMHO a good exampel for a picture description:
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Bild:Sable_Island_NASA_300x301_from_EFS_highres_STS059_STS059-216-79.jpg
(I will ask NASA for the missing information WHO has made this picture *g*)

So I think you got my point:

It´s not only the question what picture is copy free,
its more the question, how do I ask blandest and friendly to get a GNU-FDL
conform contribution. ;)

And I`m sure to get all picures I want for both island articles during this
year - WITH GNU-FDL!

> If that means less images for now, then it means less images for now.
> It also means that we have a very strong incentive to develop free
> alternatives.
Past & Copy:
- This can everybody do :( - this will make wikipedia not special
- Important picture informations will not be used
- This will not find new wikipianer
- And will bring us in danger of bad headlines and losing these pictures in
future, or for some countries....

Greetings
rob

See also:
Re: [Wikipedia-l] Re: image copyright  (Robert Michel,  Thu Feb 19 12:36:19
2004)

 on ahave ask to

contribute

I will stress that concentrating on existing pictures and existing licences
are a little narrow minded.

 The Wikimedia Foundation should be a