[Wikipedia-l] Obnoxious art galleries...

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Aug 4 18:56:22 UTC 2004

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales wrote:

>The simple solution is that we need to find as many nicely printed art
>books from the PD era, and do some mass scanning and uploading,
>documenting carefully the sources.

We could also encourage some in-person photography by Wikipedians.  Some
galleries have obnoxious no-photograph rules, but many, especially those
owned by governments with some interest in freedom, don't.  To just take
two examples from my recent travels, the National Archaeological Museum
in Athens and the Prado in Madrid both permit no-flash photography.  The
main trick is how to get high-quality photographs of paintings without a
flash, since both do prohibit tripods.  But we can at least start
tackling some of them: photographs of statues and other artifacts are an
easier no-flash/no-tripod target.

-Mark