[Wikipedia-l] Public Library of Science GFDL Compatible

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Thu Oct 30 15:03:16 UTC 2003

(I'm moving this to wikilegal.)

Andre Engels wrote:
> As far as I know, this is not true. Creative Commons only allows
> spreading under the same license, not with more or less
> rights. Since the GNU/FDL is not the same license, it is not allowed
> to go from CC to GNU/FDL - or vice versa.

I agree completely.  By and large, the CC licenses are incompatible
with GNU FDL.  This is a big problem, but that's the current state of
affairs as I see it.

I should point out that no less personage than Larry Lessig himself
told me that he thinks otherwise, for the by/1.0 license:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/1.0/legalcode

I never understood why he thought so, though.  He may have explained
it to me in a way that I ought to have understood, nevertheless I didn't
and still don't.

Read in particular 4(a) at the link I give above.

--Jimbo