[Wikipedia-l] Re: banning

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 24 02:52:46 UTC 2003

Anthere wrote:
> I use the word banning and note blocking, because that
> is the one french users use. One must be aware that
> blocking and banning on international wikipedias, will
> have very similar significance.
>
> I do not think it is necessary that you switch off the
> procedure Tim, as I know what french people will vote.

14 vs 1.

> I would really would like that
> * the log feature is done, so tracking of who ban is
> available for public consideration
> * a system is made possible to warn people that a
> loggued in user has been banned (could it be a message
> at the top, or an automatic email, or automatic update
> of a visible banning log ?)
> * that on the message displayed to the banned user,
> the adress of the mailing list appears, and that the
> message sent be automatically approved by the emailer
> (perhaps could it be a wikimail to the mailing list)
> and this whether the user has a valid email address or
> not
> * that any first blocking be initially programmed to
> expire after a certain number of hours
> * perhaps that a specific page on wikipedia is made
> editable even by a loggued in user, for wikipedia
> communication. The banned user could not edit any page
> but this one.
>
> These are propositions.
> I think english people can handle blocking better than
> we can, with less risk of abuse.
> But since we have not your safeguard, I think we need
> other tools to avoid slipping.

See my comment on the bistro. Expiry times are easy, the log is in the
dev branch. If you have a proposal for a message which is displayed to
blocked users, I suggest you put it in the fr:Wikipédia namespace, like
I did with [[en:Wikipedia:You have been blocked]]. Soon (when the CVS
branches are next merged), the message displayed will be directly
editable by any French administrator, or by any user if you choose to
unprotect it. The other suggestions are certainly nice ideas, but they
will take time to implement. We have to prioritise.

-- Tim Starling.