[Wikipedia-l] banning

Anthere anthere6 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 11:15:27 UTC 2003

I use the word banning and note blocking, because that
is the one french users use. One must be aware that
blocking and banning on international wikipedias, will
have very similar significance.

I do not think it is necessary that you switch off the
procedure Tim, as I know what french people will vote.

I would really would like that
* the log feature is done, so tracking of who ban is
available for public consideration
* a system is made possible to warn people that a
loggued in user has been banned (could it be a message
at the top, or an automatic email, or automatic update
of a visible banning log ?)
* that on the message displayed to the banned user,
the adress of the mailing list appears, and that the
message sent be automatically approved by the emailer
(perhaps could it be a wikimail to the mailing list)
and this whether the user has a valid email address or
not
* that any first blocking be initially programmed to
expire after a certain number of hours
* perhaps that a specific page on wikipedia is made
editable even by a loggued in user, for wikipedia
communication. The banned user could not edit any page
but this one.

These are propositions.
I think english people can handle blocking better than
we can, with less risk of abuse.
But since we have not your safeguard, I think we need
other tools to avoid slipping.

Thanks