[Wikipedia-l] Re: Saints

Peter Gervai grin at tolna.net
Thu Oct 23 15:16:36 UTC 2003

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 06:59:20PM +0200, Karl Eichwalder wrote:

> Yes.  Arabs and Jews wil not rate Bernhard of Clairvaux as a "saint".

Why? I would accept Saint Ibrahim (change christian religious nonsense to
whatever religious nonsense arabs have) as they reference him as that. If a
group defines its member as Foo then he's a Foo, allright, no matter whether
I believe in Fooness or not. I expect Foo Ibrahim to redirect to Al-ahmed El
Bizmar Ibn-abhur Ibrahim or what. Doesn't hurt me.

Apart from that it's logical to reference people with their names, and list
their titles later. But many should have their own pretty redirects simply
because LOTS of people look up their given names or titles, for example St.
Stephen (who happened to be Istvan, who happened to be Vajk originally, and
noone looks up him this way). Dunno about Mother Theresa's original name,
I'd look her up as Mother Theresa (which should be redirect to her original
name, which is The Article). Not St Theresa, right now, but who knows how
the generally accepted reference changes in 5 years? I expect a redirect,
then, probably.

grin

(btw if someone is saint for christians and Foo for Xyzzyans then article
should mention both. If they contradict, list them in separate sections
referencing the source.)