[Wikipedia-l] Re: Saints

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Wed Oct 22 23:34:19 UTC 2003

Karl Eichwalder wrote:

>>In case of "saints" it's just wrong to call them with such names.
>>

>Yes.  Arabs and Jews wil not rate Bernhard of Clairvaux as a "saint".

What's more, neither will Orthodox Christians, who have their own only
partially-overlapping list of saints (which does not include Bernard, as
he was not an Orthodox Christian).  And obviously strains of Protestant
Christianity that do not recognize sainthood at all won't either.

In light of that, I've rewritten the intro to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_of_Clairvaux as a proposed example
of how we should handle these things: basically, say he's Bernard of
Clairvaux, an abbot and theologian, and then say he is considered a
saint by the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, with a link on
[[saint]] to the explanation of various issues.  A very good reference
table for which saints are recognized by which sects of Christianity is
already on Wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_saints

-Mark