[Wikipedia-l] Money, money...

Andrew Lih alih at hku.hk
Mon Oct 13 03:13:55 UTC 2003

Mark:
> How is the notion of paying academics for their knowledge more
> anti-wiki than the notion of paying coders for their skills?

Several differences -- code isn't created as collaboratively as Wiki
content.  Also, coders are toolmakers, meaning successful work is purely
judged by the defined inputs/outputs/APIs.  For example, Alan Cox wrote
most of the Linux Ethernet drivers. In the end, folks only care whether
their Ethernet card works, not whether he coded a linked list or used a
"goto" statement.

However, I do agree with 'mav' that sometimes getting the momentum going
in certain Wikipedia areas is necessary, and some type of inducement
might help.  However, we have to be careful not to drastically change
the Wikipedia community dynamic.

-Fuzheado