[Wikipedia-l] $6,000 goal reached!

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 12 06:24:29 UTC 2003

Delirium wrote:
>For example, a good use of funds (in my mind)
>would be to pay researchers a minimal token
>salary for adding information on relatively
>un-fun but need-to-be-in-an-encyclopedia topics.

With a large enough grant we could hire college professors part time to
contribute to selected topics. Yes, that would be neat.

One thing I would love to see happen would be a college (or even high school
for that matter) Latin instructor work with his or her students on creating a
whole bunch of Latin articles. Heck, he or she could also work on a Latin
textbook too!

We could have year long contracts and move from language to language among the
smaller Wikipedias. /That/ would majorly kick-start many language Wikipedias
that might otherwise languish for years. I'm a firm believer that one of the
major reasons why Wikipedia took off was due to the fact that Larry Sanger
was a full time paid editor of Wikipedia during its first year.

A webpage designer and usability experts could also be hired to revamp our
user interface. With enough money we could get a lot of the less-than-fun
stuff done that would otherwise take a long time relying only on volunteers.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)