[Wikipedia-l] $6,000 goal reached!

Richard Grevers lists at dramatic.co.nz
Sat Oct 11 21:09:47 UTC 2003

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:54:18 -0700, Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> gave
utterance to the following:

> The current balance in the Paypal account is $7,040.09 USD.
>
> This came as a complete shock to me and is primarily the result of a
> single large contribution of $5,000.
>
> I'm not sure of the proper etiquette here, I am bursting at the seams
> to thank this person publicly, but with no indication really that
> I have permission, I'll let them remain anonymous for right now!

I think it is for the best if they remain anonymous. I can see potentially
undesirable consequences of active wikipedians making large dontaions,
being named, and then, should some dispute arise invoving that person in
the future, the fact of the donation being misused with "proprietorial"
implications. The risk of it being used as an accusation against the donor
is probably greater than it being used by the donor or their advocate in
the dispute.
  And it's quite a nice feeling having mystery benefactors :-) And let us
not forget all the "widows mites" as well.
--
Richard Grevers
Between two evils always pick the one you haven't tried