Printable page GFDL compliance issues (was Re: [Wikipedia-l] Donation header)

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 7 03:24:20 UTC 2003

Alex wrote:
>Shouldn't the printable version also have a URL to the
>GFDL rather than a wikilink? Also shouldn't there be a
>page history link as well (once again to the URL)?
>Whouldn't this be more in compliance with the terms of
>the GFDL which require that the GFDL go with the
>copyrighted material and at least the five most significant
>authors being acknowledged?

IMO, printable pages should have three things:

1) A clickable backlink to the article that also displays the full URL
2) A clickable backlink to our local GNU FDL copy (full URL, blah, blah)
3) Maybe even a "Revision history" link.

That way, downstream users who simply copy the source text of a printable page
and then use the page somewhere else on the Internet, will be in full
compliance with the GNU FDL (them having a local copy of the GNU FDL is not a
strict compliance term).

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)