[Wikipedia-l] Header donation solicitation is a good idea for fundraising drive

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 6 18:40:06 UTC 2003

Alex wrote:
>The only worry I have is that practically every state

>in the US has charity registration rules about
>soliciting donations and as far as I know Wikimedia
>is only registered in Florida to "solicit" donations.

Whatever happened to full faith and credit? It would
be damn near impossible to only direct donation
solicitation to Florida residents even if we wanted
to. This simply doesn't seem to be fair. But I'm sure
other nations also have their own rules. Sigh...

>Can it say "donations" or "donation info." rather
>than Donate (a bit of a command)?

'Donations' would be better. Please change that
somebody. Oh, and the foundation's website says
"Donate Now", so that should be changed as well
(please put the template on meta somebody). You should
also review the donations page at
http://wikimediafoundation.org/fundraising to make
sure the "Why donate? section is OK. If not then edit
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Fundraising_page
(if you are not a meta Admin, then you should be -
make it so developers!).

--Daniel Mayer (aka mav)