[Wikipedia-l] Please help test new features

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Wed Jul 2 23:52:00 UTC 2003

The Cunctator wrote:

>Erik Moeller wrote:

>>We need to find the right balance between making editing easy and making
>>reading Wikipedia unobtrusive. Some work on this is being done in the Skin
>>department, for example, where we will probably end up with a Skin
>>preferred by editors, and one that is more friendly to non-editing users.

>This would be a terrible violation of the basic Wiki-nature of Wikipedia.

I don't see a problem with having skins optimised for reading and editing.
I do see a probelm with making the former the default,
although even that doesn't seem to me to be isurmountable.
What /would/ be a terrible violation is the make the default skin
a skin in which there is no "'''Edit this page'''" link at all --
but I don't think that Erik is proposing that for /any/ skin.

-- Toby