[Wikipedia-l] Please help test new features

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Wed Jul 2 23:57:43 UTC 2003

Erik Moeller wrote in part:

>Brion VIBBER wrote:

>>It's also mysteriously in a table and there are no line breaks. :)

>I think it looks nicer in a table, but that's easy to change in Skin.php.

Some of the reasons why using tables for layout is bad
can be found on [[meta:Wikipedia accessibility]]
(and pages and sites linked from it).

>>I notice that duplicate headings (which is not unlikely to occur with
>>subheadings) are marked with a numbered suffix after the first one. Better
>>than nothing, but this is fragile for linking; if the major sections are
>>rearranged in order, the numbers for the minor sections will change.

>So what else do you suggest?

The natural thing for me would be [[X#Y#Z#...]].
If this gets too long ... well, that's a pretty good sign
that [[X#Y]] really should go onto its own page!

>By having the neat "edit this section" feature only for headings, we
>encourage people to create headings for their own editing benefit. They
>will reorganize talk pages to have them to be able to respond quicker in
>the future. We provide no such incentive if we also implement the feature
>for rules.

I'll buy this.

-- Toby