[Wikipedia-l] Re: Languages

Anthere anthere6 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 27 10:43:13 UTC 2003

Merritt L. Perkins wrote:

>What languages? All languages! Do you mean that you
want to include
>Encyclopedia articles on all languages. There are so
many obscure
>languages that you cannot expect to include them all.

Yes, ideally, all languages

I read a great reduction of spoken languages was
expected over the next decennies.
If Wikipedia can help make some of them stay alive, so
much the best.

it was expected
>What languages should the Encyclopedia be translated
into? I think
that
>you should choose languages that would have many
readers. High German,
>French and Spanish for example. There is a difference
between this
French
>spoken in France and in Canada, in the Spanish spoken
in Spain and in
>Mexico.

The Encyclopedia is not translated and will not be
translated in other languages. Each language is free
of its own creativity. Articles from one language can
influence another language. But they are not copies.